Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Oncologist visit

Once again the Dr. was pleased with my "progress" today. He did say the disease showed a very small amt. of growth, which led him to wonder about a thresh hold for the Interferon's continued success.
He also brought up my Hydrocephalus. The ventricles in my brain are larger than normal, and the exit for spinal fluid from my brain is smaller than normal. He is concerned about the possible long term affects of this, pressure from inside the ventricles pushing out. So, he is referring me to another neurosurgeon to discuss a shunt. Inside I sighed heavily, wondering if I hadn't been through enough already. Ah! God's gotten me through this adventure so far. Who am I to doubt that He can carry me to the finish? :-)
I asked him about Pegasys, a time released form of Interferon. He said, unless they found some remarkable progress through further studies, he didn't recommend a change at this stage of the game. Makes sense.
I am scheduled for another MRI & abdominal CT scan in mid October. The drama continues........

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm here to help with the drama if you need a friend! I have personal knowledge about Shunts and Hydrocephalus. My daughter Amanda has had a shunt [since 1997 after her brain tumor removal] and it's really helped with her Hydrocephalus all of these years. It's definately worth talking about to the neurosurgeon. Pros and Cons of course. If you need more info let me know. I'm here! As you know God will get you through this decision as well, He is great!

Take care!

Gail