Monday, April 12, 2010

Wellbutrin, Dosage, Insurance, Formulary

My Medicare Replacement carrier has decided my already generic anti-depressant is too pricey. My Family Physician had to barter with them to decide what they would cover. So, now, after 9 years of using a time released med. that never once gave me a problem, they have changed to a twice a day formula. It has to be taken 8 hours apart and not in the evening, because it will keep me awake.
Well, I start the med, and, on the second day of it, I begin waking up at 3-5 AM and can't get back to sleep (I stay up 'til 1:30 or 2:00 AM to be with my wife, as she works the 3-11 PM shift). After several days of this, I'm exhausted. So, I've taken matters into my own hands and cut back to one pill in the AM only.
I immediately began sleeping through the night, except for the dog waking me up for his nighttime grass watering missions. But, I go right back to sleep. So far, the reduction has not affected my mood, except for an improvement due to sleeping well.
It is ridiculous to change a med after 9 yrs of successful useage because of cost, especially when it was already the generic form!! Profit over health, I guess!.
By the way, the xanthum (ECD growth) in my head begins at my pituitary gland, affecting testosterone production, mood and thirst, in my case. The thirst is under control. But, I need hormone therapy for the others. Wellbutrin is, of course, for mood/depression, and I apply a testosterone replacement gel every other day. I'm an expensive item :-).

No comments: